These ships were improved and slightly enlarged versions of the Chapayev class cruisers. They had the same main armament, machinery and side protection as the earlier ships, but had increased fuel capacity for greater range, an all welded hull, improved underwater protection, increased anti aircraft artillery and radar.
|Sverdlov Class Cruiser|
|Builders:||Baltic Yard, Leningrad |
Admiralty yard, Leningrad
|Operators:|| Soviet Navy |
|Preceded by:||Chapayev class cruiser|
|Completed:||Sverdlov, Dzerzhinsky, Ordzhonikidze, Zhdanov, Alexander Nevski, Admiral Nakhimov, Admiral Ushakov, Admiral Lazarev, Alexander Suvorov, Admiral Senyavin, Dmitry Pozharski, Oktyabrskaya Revolutsia, Murmansk, Mikhail Kutuzov|
|Displacement:||13,600 tons standard, |
16,640 tons full load
|Length:||210 m overall, 205 m waterline|
|Propulsion:||2 shaft geared steam turbines, 6 boilers, 110,000 hp|
|Range:||9000 nm at 18 knots|
|Armament:||12 x 15.2 cm 57 cal B-38 in four triple Mk5-bis turrets, |
12 x 10.0 cm 56 cal Model 1934 in 6 twin SM-5-1 mounts
32 x 3.7 cm AA
10 x 533 cm torpedo tubes
|Armour:||Belt: 100 mm|
Conning tower: 150 mm
Deck: 50 mm
Turrets: 75 mm
The ultimate radar suite was:
- 1x 'Big Net' or 'Top Trough' air search radar
- 1x 'High Sieve' or 'Low Sieve' air search radar
- 1x 'Knife Rest' air search radar*
- 1x 'Slim Net' air search radar
- 1x 'Don-2' or 'Neptune' navigational radar
- 2x 'Sun Visor' gun fire control radars
- 2x 'Top Bow' 152mm gun fire control radars
- 8x 'Egg Cup' gun fire control radars
- 2x 'Watch Dog' ECM systems
The Admiral Nakhimov had an SS-N-1 anti-ship missile launcher installed in place of A and B turrets as a trial in 1957. This installation was not successful, the ship was rapidly decommissioned and was used as a target ship in 1961.
The Dzerzhinsky had a SAM launcher for the SA-2 missile, replacing the aft turrets in 1960-62. This conversion was also not successful and no further ships were converted.
The Senyavin and Zhdanov were converted into command ships in 1971 by replacing the aft turrets with extra accommodation and electronics. The two command ships were fitted with a helicopter deck and hangar together with a SA-N-4 SAM missile system and 4 twin 30mm guns.