Oregon City class cruiser

0 comments

Oregon City class cruiser
The Oregon City class were a class of heavy cruisers of the United States Navy. Although it was intended to build ten, only four were completed – one of those as a command ship. The three cruisers were in commission from 1946 to 1970.

The Oregon City-class cruisers were a modified version of the previous Baltimore-class design; the main difference was a more compact pyramidal superstructure with single trunked funnel, intended to improve the arcs of fire of the anti-aircraft (AA) guns. The same type of modification also differentiated the Cleveland and Fargo classes of light cruisers.

Oregon City class cruiser

Ten ships were authorized for the class with three being completed and the fourth suspended during construction. The final six ships were cancelled. Construction on the incomplete fourth ship was resumed in 1948 and the ship served as a command ship Northampton (CLC-1). All three completed ships were commissioned in 1946. Oregon City was decommissioned after only 18 months of service, probably the shortest active life of any WWII-era cruiser. Albany was later converted into a guided missile ship, becoming the lead ship of the Albany class and served until 1980. A similar conversion was planned for Rochester but was cancelled.

Oregon City class cruiser
Name: Oregon City class cruiser
Operators: US flag 48 stars.svg United States Navy
Preceded by: Baltimore-class cruiser
Succeeded by: Des Moines-class cruiser
In commission: 1946–1970
Planned: 10
Completed: 4 (1 completed as a command ship USS Northampton (CLC-1)
Cancelled: 6
General characteristics
Type: Heavy cruiser
Displacement: 17,000 tons Full Load
Length: 673 ft 5 in (205.26 m)
Beam: 70 ft 10 in (21.59 m)
Draft: 26 ft 4 in (8.03 m)
Propulsion: General Electric turbines turning 120,000 hp (89,000 kW)
Speed: 32.4 knots (60.0 km/h; 37.3 mph)
Complement: 1,142 officers and enlisted
Armament:
  • 9 × 8 inch/55 caliber guns (3×3)
  • 12 × 5 inch/38 caliber guns (6×2)
  • 48 × 40 mm Bofors guns
  • 20 × 20 mm Oerlikon cannons
Aircraft carried: Four amphibious scout planes

Share this article :